What is Reiki?
Reiki means "universal life energy" and is an ancient healing method that manipulates energy flow in the body. Reiki practitioners believe there is an energy force in and around the body. They believe that there is a flow of energy between the reiki practitioner and the receiver of the treatment. It is thought that reiki releases energy flows and allows the body's own natural healing ability to work.
Reiki focuses on seven main energy centers, called chakras, in your body. The energy should flow freely through your chakras in order for you to be spiritually, physically, and mentally healthy. Practitioners believe that if energy paths are blocked, you may feel ill or weak or have pain.
A reiki treatment session usually lasts an hour. The reiki practitioner puts his or her hands over or on your body at certain chakras. Most reiki practitioners recommend more than one session.
What is Reiki used for?
People use reiki to decrease pain, ease muscle tension, speed healing, and improve sleep.
Reiki is sometimes used to help people who suffer from pain or discomfort from cancer or other diseases. But reiki is not used as a treatment for cancer or any other disease. Some people who have undergone chemotherapy treatment said they felt better and had less nausea after undergoing a reiki session. Research is ongoing to determine any benefits of reiki.
More benefits of Reiki and Integrative Energy Work:
- Alleviates pain and stress and promotes restful sleep, healing and relaxation. Promotes a host of benefits for the mind and body including a heightened sense of well-being, release of muscle tension, and relief from anxiety and depression.
- Helps restore and balance all systems of the body. Western (allopathic) medicine recognizes that a period of calm, or the ability to enter a state of calm is imperative for health and well-being. Essential Harmony Energy Work offers the client the space to enter that state of calm.
- Triggers the relaxation response in the body (“rest & digest”), the biological reaction that activates the parasympathetic nervous system (PSN) which is responsible for repair, maintenance, restoration of the body, and immune system functioning .
- Helpful to those persons dealing with the death of a loved one, are going through the dying process, or are dealing with other life changes.
- Is especially helpful for those persons who have special challenges such as CFS, fibromyalgia, neuromuscular disease, multiple sclerosis, lupus, shingles, pre / post surgery, or are recovering from an accident or injury. Benefits persons of any age and in any state of health. Offers comfort, nurture, and support for the good health and balance of the mind, body and emotions.
Is Reiki safe?
Many people who receive reiki say they experience a refreshed spirit, better healing, and an increase in general well-being.
No scientific studies have proved whether reiki is effective for treating any type of disease. But some health professionals believe it may be useful in helping reduce stress and anxiety.
Always tell your doctor if you are using an alternative therapy or if you are thinking about combining an alternative therapy with your conventional medical treatment. It may not be safe to forgo your conventional medical treatment and rely only on an alternative therapy.